Crossway has recently released a new biography of Calvin by Robert Godfrey: John Calvin: Pilgrim and Pastor.
I also recommend Herman J. Selderhuis' John Calvin: A Pilgrim's Life (IVP, 2009) which is excellent and well documented.
I have not purchased a copy of Ligonier Ministries' John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine and Doxology, but it also appears to be a superb collection of essays.
Finally, I wanted to note (for those of you who prefer snuggling up at a hard desk with a keyboard :)), Logos has announced a new collection in celebration of the 500th anniversary of John Calvin: The Calvin 500 Collection (97 volumes).
This massive collection contains:
- 45 volumes of commentaries
- 5 editions of the Institutes of the Christian Religion in 3 languages, including the original 1559 Latin edition and the rare Norton translation
- 4 volumes of Calvin's letters and correspondence
- 35 theological tracts and treatises in 8 volumes
- 10 biographies of Calvin
- 20 volumes of secondary literature on the history of Calvinism
- 2 volumes on Calvin from the Library of Christian Classics
- and much more!
Check these out. Also, I'd like to hear your recommendations, too. Leave a comment.